Saturday, May 10, 2008

I took another Rosemaling class

I spent 3 days this week in a class with Marlys Hammer, a gold medal rosemaler from Wisconsin. She was a delight to learn from. She paints in acrylics, which is what I use. They behave a bit differently from oil paints and it was nice for me to have a teacher demonstrate in acrylics. Here are some pictures of Marlys and the plate she brought for us to use as a model.  She also brought patterns for the plate. I did a practice plate and one similar to the one she is holding, but I didn't do the border. I was quite happy with how it looked without the elaborate border.

Marlys Hammer

Here's a wide view of the room.

class-marlysHammer

and here Marlys is helping another student.

marlys-painting

And here are pictures of my plates:

marlysH-red

The one below I did as a practice piece. I didn't use her pattern on this one, but free-handed a similar design.

practice-red

And here's a detail from the second plate.

red-plate-detail

The plates still need a finishing top coat, but they often photograph better before they are varnished.

4 comments:

Kathleen said...

STUNNING. I'm so impressed with your talent! And I've done a fair bit of acanthus leaf painting myself (in manuscript form). Your plates look marvellous.

-Kathleen

knitting chaos said...

You do wonderful work.

Jody said...

Wow! This is beautiful! I can really appreciate the time and talent that goes into something like this after having done Pysanky myself. You do great work.

Jody

Anonymous said...

Thanks for writing this.