Monday, July 23, 2007
Friday, July 20, 2007
I have a couple other things I need to do: Make window treatments for our study, that we have just redecorated, do some work in my garden etc.
And for fun I'm reading a memoir by Claude Michelet called "Une fois Sept". He was the youngest of 7 children. It is a lot of fun. He writes with a lot of humor and he had an active imagination as a child.
I visited a local art museum today and we went to the opera last night and saw "the Barber of Seville".
That's it for today.
Monday, July 16, 2007
Saturday, July 14, 2007
Thursday, July 12, 2007
So I started on a sleeve, which is what I should have done in the first place. It is always easier to rip out a sleeve and start over, than to do that with the body. I will have to start the body over, but if I have enough yarn, I won't have to rip the first one out. Not sure if it can be used, but not having to rip it out and untangle the yarn and rewind the balls will be a good thing.
I completed one repeat of the pattern on the sleeve. It is a 26-row repeat and 26 stitches also.The hem is still tighter than it should be, but I think I can live with it. I may start the second one with more stiches and if it comes out better and the difference bugs me I can undo the bottom of this one and reknit it in the other directon. I have never done this, but I have seen it done and I know people who can help me do this.
In the interest of being brutally honest, here is the other side of the sleeve showing the increases. It's not great, but it's not horrible. The pattern called for using fewer stiches in the border than in the pattern, but my knitting with 3 and 4 strands pulls up so much that I should have just started with the larger number. I didn't realize it was pulling up so much. Actually the first one I did was looser, but looked horrible. Oh well, this is what I can do now. I'll keep practicing and hope to get better.
No question this is a mountain challenge for me. I'm glad I joined this tour de france kal, because it has given me the incentive I need to keep at this project and not get discouraged.
As for doing French while I do this, I listened to a Frech CD while I was knitting and also finished reading a mystery in French last night, after I quit knitting for the day. I read "Maigret et le Phantome" by Simenon. Is anyone familiar with his series of police novels?
Tuesday, July 10, 2007
Here is the border pattern, completed. I pinned it to the carpet, because it rolls up otherwise. I also folded the ribbed facing under it. This is how the hem should look, but without the pins.
I really hope I don't have to rip this out.
This is the gauge swatch that I made before I started. I did one repeat on #3 needles and a second one on 3.5mm. I decided the second one is closer to the gauge, so that's what I plan to use.
I did the border pattern again, after ripping it out once. It turned out much better the second time. In fact I am happy with how it looks. I have a picture, but it's still in the camera. Now I am afraid to measure it, because I think it is too small, which means I'll have to rip it out and do it again. Aaargh! For some reason this pattern calls for doing the border on 2.5 needles with 265 stitches and then increasing to 273 stitches and 3 or 3.5 needles for the body, which is the all-over design in the gauge swatch here. I can't figure out why they wanted me to do the border on smaller needles. The number of stitches I understand. That is because the repeat is different and that is to make it come out symmetrical at the center front. But it doesn't seem like the bottom hem should be smaller than the rest of the jacket. They do call it a jacket (jakke).
So I'm going to go up to my yarn store to see friends who knit there on Tuesdays and ask their opinion.
Monday, July 9, 2007
Stages 1 and 2:
I have to go out today, so will come back to this later.
Tuesday, July 3, 2007
My mother and I were visitng Norway in May. Our relatives took us on a tour of the area (near Egersund in Rogaland) which included a visit to the Gjestal factory outlet store. My mother picked up some lime-green yarn (10 balls for $10.00-total!) I spent more than that, but this was still a bargain. I also bought a pattern, which is in Norwegian, so I'll have to work on figuring it out. It is a cardingan with an all-over two color pattern using the dark blue and brown yarn. The other three are used in the contrasting border. I hope to get started on the gauge swatch today and be ready to start the sweater on July 7th along with the start of the Tour de France.
I have finally managed to instal my scanner. We got a new computer and it hadn't been reinstalled. So here is the picture from the pattern book of this sweater. (I hope) The photo is not a good one, because it doesn't show the contrasting border very well. Why don't knitting pattern books think about these thing?
Sunday, July 1, 2007
I will be living in Paris Sept 2 through Dec. 1, 2007. I am thinking about writing a blog at that time.
I also have decided to do a knit-along project with the Tour de France knitters. I picked up a Norwegian pattern for a cardigan in Norway last month and have hardly even looked at it, but I need to start a new project, so I think this is going to be it. It is a two color all-over pattern. I'll see if I can find a picture of it on-line. My colors are teal and brown, with accent borders in red and gold.
The pattern is in Norwegian, which is not one of the languages I read, but I have translated some of it and I know a knitting friend who knows Norwegian so she can help if I get stuck.
That's it for now.