I'm going to try to update this blog once a month. So here goes for February.
I started a Norwegian style pullover early in January. My knitting group at my local yarn store decided to all do Norwegian sweaters starting in January. Since this fits right in with my resolution for 2010, I thought this was a good time to start a Setesdal style sweater. I've wanted to do one of these for a long time, but was waiting until I felt my 2-color knitting was up to the task.
Here is what I have of it so far. It's going pretty quickly. I'm sticking to the very simple, basic Norwegian shaping, which is very little. More modern Norwegian and Dale designed sweaters are much more complicated than this, but I decided to see how this would go with very little structure. I'm not adding steek stitches, but will cut at the sides for the armholes and at the neck for the neck opening. It will have a placket.
This is the body and lower part of the sleeve. I'm ready to start the patterning at the top of the sleeve. I pulled designs from Setesdal Sweaters, by Annemor Sundbo, and made up my own pattern from there. The traditional Setesdal sweaters, which are named after the valley of Setes in Norway, were worn by men and had embroidered wool fabric cuffs and plackets. I'm not going to do the wool fabric. I want this to be a comfortable everyday sweater to wear in the Duluth winters. There is some more information on my Ravelry page.
I signed up for another class in Rosemaling. It meets one day a week for 8 weeks. It started yesterday. I didn't have a project to work on, so spent the time doodling on paper. Here is what I did.
I was just trying to get back into the feel of handling the brushes and thinking about my designs. I practiced with a round brush, a filbert and a liner.