Monday, April 23, 2012

COLORS!


         
          I've always loved colors.  I can remember as a young child loving all the colors in my box of Crayola crayons.  I still remember the square cross-section shape of the box of 64.  But when I was old enough to have a double-wide box of 128, wow that was really fabulous.  My mother liked the fall colors and I did too, though I have also always been drawn to blues.
          I was more in tuned to fashion trends than my mother and in the 80's and 90's when the olive greens and rusts were replaced in popularity by the jewel tones, I thought I would never go back to the colors of the 60's and 70's. My mother bought herself a chartreuse pantsuit in the 90's.  She said she'd always liked that color, but I wasn't ready to go back to those colors yet.  About 10 years later, I finally realized I really did love the rusts and oranges, deep reds, olives, and natural colors. Now I have an orange bathroom!
          I have seen these color inspiration pictures on Pinterest.  They are usually for paint color inspiration, but why shouldn't the same thing work for knit-wear?  I love color-work and like to chose my own colors.  I often see a landscape or just whatever is outside the car window and think those colors would be great in a color-work sweater.  I am especially drawn to the softer tones-taupes, tans, greys, blues, such as are found in this beach scene in Hawaii.


          So for this post I browsed my computer for photos with different color combinations and made up some of my own color samplers.

A park in Paris in late autumn shows the golds and greens that I love.


The big round lake in the Jardins Luxembourg on a somewhat grey day in late fall.


Grasses and Verbena near a lake-side path in a village in Normandy.


Two trees hugging in a forest in Maryland, USA. I love the soft colors in just two color families.


Ancient carved stone of the Qtub Minar in Delhi, India. These are my colors.  I could see using this combination.


These are colors I would not have picked to go together, but look how great they look side by side in this garden bed. The grey at the top is from the dirt and the taupe at the bottom from the stone of the buildings in the background.


This is my first post for the Knitting and Crochet Blog Week 2012.  3KCBWDAY1

To tie this into knitting, I should go out and buy yarn in these colors, photograph it, make up color charts using those colors for some fair-Isle sweaters, and then post the finished sweaters here.  Yeah, come back in a couple years to see if that has happened.

1 comment:

Cecile said...

I'm away from home and had scheduled this to be posted on Monday, but it didn't work. I tried and tried to post it manually, but couldn't do that either. Tonight, I have finally managed to post this as well as the one for today. I'm a little frustrated.