Saturday, July 14, 2007

Progressing on the sleeve:

I thought I'd show you how I keep track of where I am in the pattern. I scanned the pattern into my computer. (If you don't have a scanner make several copies.) This pattern has a repeat of 26 rows and 26 stitches. I don't think I'll ever be able to keep it in my head, so I will have to use these diagrams for most of the sweater.


The arrow printed on the pattern indicates the stitch that should be at the center of the sleeve (midt pa ermet) I started with 73 stitches, so the 37th stich was the mid-point. I counted backwards to find where I should start the pattern. I also needed to increase one stitch each end of the row every 4 rows. So I next drew a solid line on the pattern at the starting point which jogs out one stitch every 4 rows. This helps me keep track of the increases as well and I don't need a pesky stitch counter, which kept getting in the way. I highlight the row I'm doing next, knit that and highlight the next row. I'm alternating my highlight colors, but that doesn't really serve any special purpose. When I put the work down I highlight the next row and indicate with an arrow that that is where I should start next. Each time I complete a pattern I throw that one away after transfering the starting line to a new page. This is the third page I've done now. So I have almost completed 3 complete pattern repeats.

2 comments:

The A.D.D. Knitter said...

Thanks for this--I totally get your logic, you deserve a gold star!!

Debra from Bungalow said...

Hi there, I too am a knitter, but not nearly as advanced as you! The pattern looks awesome & complicated.......I can do cables & yarnovwers & plain old knit one, purl two.

You do wonderful work!